Glossier Review for acne prone skin


I've had acne for over four years now, and it's been quite the struggle. I've tried every skin care line, treatment, diet and medication under the sun and not a lot seems to help; it makes me very upset. I ditched make up for over four months and I feel like it did help a tad, but it barely made a dent. I dreamt if I stopped wearing make up it would clear my skin enough so I wouldn't feel like I had to wear it because honestly; I hated wearing make up.

I loathed how any type of foundations looked on my uneven skin. Everything highlighted my blemishes and I didn't like how it felt on my face; I would just itch to get it off as quickly as possible once I'd gotten home. My skin type is incredibly oily and most foundations would end up oxidising or separating on my skin within hours, regardless of what primers and powders I would use. Also with someone who suffers from chronic illnesses; applying make up made me feel very fatigued before I had even left the house.

All of this made me completely fall out of love with make up. I just figured I would just have to try and be confident with the skin I had, which could be difficult once I caught my reflection in an mirror on a bad self esteem day. I always get mistaken for being years younger than I am, and even though I do have a baby face, I was convinced it was because of the acne. I recently saw a dermatologist who suggested an antibiotic and new cream to try, which started working well and I got so excited; until it stopped working, like everything else had. I have a couple of more options to try once I see my doctor but I have decided that I actually miss playing with make up, and I wanted something super quick and easy to apply so I wouldn't get tired and I could just make my skin look a bit healthier and more awake when I'm at those 9am hospital appointments! So I made my first ever order with Glossier..


I had seen in other people's pictures online that Glossier had cute packaging and I wasn't disappointed when my package arrived! The box was super cute with it's little message and pale pink design. The items came in a little pink pouch that is lined with bubblewrap - it's reusable which is great because it's always handy to have little cases to use when going away.


I decided to purchase the Perfecting Skin Tint in Light, Stretch concealer in Light and Birthday Balm Dotcom. In my mind I envisioned a trio of products I could literally slap on my skin and take me 5 minutes to apply, and I really mean 5 minutes.



Let's start with my first impressions of the main product - Perfecting Skin Tint:


Again, I love the packaging! It's simple, a nice size, the plastic bottle is quite flexible which is a good thing for me as I don't have very good dexterity and very little strength in my hands so squeezing the product out of the bottle was easy. As a tinted moisturiser it only comes in 5 shades (which is actually pretty good as tinted moisturisers go) so I was a little concerned about it matching my skin tone because I have quite a unusual undertone.

When I applied it I immediately loved how it felt on my skin. It made my skin feel super smooth and nourished; it just felt nice! It blended out to match my skin perfectly, which is what a good tinted moisturiser should do. It was actually pretty good coverage for a tinted moisturiser and it was super buildable. You could still see my acne slightly but it just blurred everything; it looked like I just had acne scaring rather than active acne. It made my skin look really awake and just gave me a nice glow. I was super impressed!


Stretch Concealer:


Now when I first opened up the concealer (which I had bought in the lightest shade possible)  I was convinced it was going to be waaaay to dark for my skin tone, the product itself in the pot just looked so dark! But after applying it under my eyes on top of the Skin Tint I was pleasantly surprised! Just like the tinted moisturiser, it blended out so well to almost adapt to my skin tone and it covered my dark circles quite well. You could still see them slightly but that's to be expected. I used a little bit on my bigger break outs and the coverage again was surprising!

Glossier's website says "Make up that lets skin look like...skin!" and that's exactly what this concealer and Skin Tint put together does, and even though this make up was obviously not completely hiding my acne - I liked that!

It made my skin look like how I would want my skin to look like: natural, glowing, awake, but also not completely hiding my imperfections because there's not such thing as perfect skin.


Birthday Balm Dotcom:


So when I was making my Glossier order I decided I wanted to order a product that I knew I could use if the Skin Tint and Stretch concealer didn't work out like all the rest of my recent make up purchases. Just something a little fun, as I mentioned before I've missed just playing around with make up so I knew I wanted to try the Birthday 'flavour' of the Balm Dotcom products.

It's basically a lip balm that you can also use on different areas of your skin. You could use it as a make up product: on your lips (obv), your eyelids, your cheeks etc. But Glossier also claim you can use it pretty much anywhere; basically a multi-purpose lip balm and skin salve.


I had seen someone on instagram using this product on their eyelids and I thought that was a great idea, again in my mind I was thinking "okay I've got a 9am hospital appointment, I can quickly apply the Skin Tint and Stretch concealer to make myself appear more awake and then this on my lips and eyelids to just give my eyes a little dewy/sparkle so I can subtly slay this hospital visit.."


I was rushing around a lot the first day I tested these products so I couldn't take decent photos but I did 2 updates on my insta-stories.


I had the Perfecting Skin Tint, Stretch concealer, Birthday Balm Dotcom on my lips (which had disappeared by this time due to eating and drinking) and on my eyes, Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel on my eyebrows and I did set it all with Soap and Glory's One Heck of a Blot face powder. I honestly loved how it made my skin look and I've not been this impressed with a make up product in so long.

However by the end of the day I did feel like it had disappeared slightly, but at least it had disappeared by 'fading' instead of oxidising or going patchy so I still loved it. If I hadn't set it with a powder I could of added more during the day possibly when I noticed it was giving me less coverage so I might test that out in the future.



All in all I am super happy with my first trail of these products and I'm excited to continue to try them out! If you made it to the end of this post you're a superstar and thank you!

Have you tried Glossier products? Which has been your favourite so far? Let me know!














Comments

Popular Posts