Switching To A Powder Face Routine

Sorry it's been so long! I wanted to share why I switched up my beloved liquid/cream make up routine to a (mostly) powder one, and if it's actually done what I wanted it to do! So after watching a powder face routine on youtube, the video mentioned that powder products tend to have a harder time clogging up your pores, especially if you've got a decent moisture and/or primer underneath, and a light bulb went off in my head. I love my liquid foundation because it's very buildable so I can over my acne and scars, but every time I used it I end up getting more spots, so it became a viscous cycle. So I decided that I would see if I could get on with using a mineral foundation/powder routine; and I'm so happy I decided to try!


Firstly I make sure my face is super hydrated before starting my make up to make sure there's no dry skin the powders can stick to, and I make sure my skin isn't 'wet' i.e. the moisturiser has completely been adsorbed into my skin. I still use a liquid primer to add another barrier to spot my pores being blocked by my make up, so finding a primer that doesn't break you out would be my first advice. I'm also still using a cream under eye brightener and a cream concealer to cover the worst of the scars. But after all those products have set I move on my powders..


Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation SPF 15

I LOVE THIS STUFF. In fact, I love this company! They're cruelty free, most of their products are vegan, and they do an awesome thing where you can order a sample size of their foundation so you can test the shades. There's 18 shades to choose from, and they go super pale. I usually need the palest shades in products and my perfect shade was actually the 3rd shade which was surprising. Very buildable, the coverage is light, but for a mineral foundation it still covers a lot of my scars. You can still see some of my imperfections, but I kinda like that, it just looks like my skin but better! Make sure you're really buffing in powder foundations, a big mistake is that people think you can just dust mineral foundations on and go - don't do that. Blend as crazy as you would when applying liquid foundations, especially around the nose etc. I use the Lily Lolo Super Kabuki Brush to apply the foundation.
Lily Lolo Mineral Concealer

After I make sure the foundation is buffed well into my skin, I move onto mineral concealer. I use this mainly under my eyes, but I also use it to highlight certain areas of my face because it's a very fair colour. So my last remaining patches of acne are on my chin (thanks hormones!) which is sort of convenient because I can use this concealer in that area and it just adds a bit of coverage and also adds a bit of highlight. Then I dust a tiny bit down my nose, on my cupid's bow or on any scars that haven't quite been covered by the foundation. Again, make sure you're really working it into the skin and not just dusting it on your skin. I go over the areas where I've applied the concealer with the foundation brush to make sure it's all blended together. To apply this product I use the Lily Lolo Concealer Brush.
After concealing I move onto my eyebrows, I'm currently trying to learn how to fill in my eyebrows with powder (I'm using two eyeshadows from a eyeshadow pallete!) and then tidy up the lines with my Anastasia Brow Wiz. After my eyebrow routine I move onto my eyes, then I contour my cheeks and forehead, blush and then highlight. After all of that (sounds like a lot but it's usually a real basic routine) I'll decide what to wear on my lips, which is usually a liquid lipstick.

Honestly switching to a powder routine has really made me fall in love with just basic make up looks, which is great for me because I'm so fatigued all the time. It has also genuinely helped my skin clear up without being interrupted by my make up trying to clog my pores even further. When I get home I take my make up off with a couple of make up wipes, and then straight after I clean my skin with my spin brush and my cleanser, tone and moisturise and that's made a big difference also. I'm excited to try more Lily Lolo products!

Comments

Popular Posts